Canadians everywhere have been increasingly feeling the strain of their monthly utility bills. With two-thirds of an average homeowners' energy costs going to heating, cooling and hot water, these homeowners are looking at alternative sources to heat and cool their home. This is where a geothermal system from WaterFurnace comes into play.
A WaterFurnace geothermal system not only increases the heating and cooling efficiency in homes, it also significantly reduces energy bills. A geothermal system has been declared the most environmentally-friendly, cost-effective and energy-efficient heating and cooling technology available by the Environmental Protection Agency.
The earth retains 47% of the sun's energy, so a WaterFurnace geothermal system capitalizes on this stored energy. This energy is essentially free, is unlimited, 100% renewable and greatly enhances the efficiency of the heating and cooling in your home. A WaterFurnace geothermal system is proven to be cost-effective, while emitting absolutely no carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide or other harmful greenhouse gases.
- • Energy Efficient Providing you with an unheard of 400% efficiency, the Envision system delivers up to $4 of free earth energy for every $1 of electrical energy used.
- • Cost Effective The high efficiency of the Envision system gives you incredible energy savings, which usually more than offsets any additional installation costs within the first five years.
- • Comfortable WaterFurnace systems provide consistent and comfortable heating and cooling. The optional zone control system lets you control the temperature in four different areas of your home.
- • Reliable The WaterFurnace reputation for reliability has been earned by using only the highest-quality components, design and workmanship.
- • Quiet WaterFurnace systems do not require noisy outdoor units that create unsightly additions to your home's appearance.
- • Safe There is no combustion, flames or fumes and no chance of carbon-monoxide poisoning because natural gas, propane or oil are not required to operate a WaterFurnace unit.
- • Flexible One compact WaterFurnace unit provides heating, central air conditioning and supplemental domestic hot water.
- • Clean High-efficiency air cleaners found in WaterFurnace systems keep your indoor air quality clean, removing dust and pollen so you can breathe easier.
- • Environmentally Friendly Installing a WaterFurnace system is the environmental equivalent of planting 750 trees or removing two cars from the road. No fossil fuel means no harmful emissions or greenhouse gases.
These loops use ground water pumped from a well as a heat source. The well must have enough capacity to provide adequate flow for both domestic use and the WaterFurnace unit. This technique allows the loop to be placed underneath homes, basements, wooded lots or even swimming pools without disrupting grass or landscaping.
These loops are made of durable plastic pipe,are buried in the earth or submerged in a lake or pond,and transfer heat by circulating a solution through the system. Because water transfers heat better than soil, closed loops can be coiled and placed on the bottom of a pond or lake where it transfers heat to or from the water. A 1/2 acre,8-foot-deep pond is usually sufficient.
These loops are installed where space is limited. Installing vertical loops requires the use of a drilling rig. Multiple holes are bored about 10 feet apart. A double pipe connected with a U-bend is inserted in to each hole. The hole is filled with grout to provide good contact around the pipe and to seal the hole. The vertical pipes are then connected to a header system horizontally a few feet below the surface.
These loops are used where adequate land is available. One or more trenches are dug using a backhoe or chain trencher. Pipes are inserted and the trenches are back filled.
These loops often require less excavation than vertical or horizontal loops; therefore, they are often less expensive to install. They can be installed if an adequately sized body of water is located close to the home. A series of coils are sunk to the bottom, connected by a header with supply and return pipes leading to the home.
The decision on which loop configuration to use depends on the land terrain, the cost of trenching or drilling, the availability of quality ground water and the availability of land. Your geothermal dealer will help you make the best choice.
Earth4U provides the following services to residential, commercial and industrial clients.
- 1. Free Consultation and quotes.
- 2. Heat Loss/Gain calculations.
- 3. HVAC design and sizing.
- 4. Residential ductwork design.
- 5. Hydronic system design.
- 6. Pump sizing.
- 7. Complete system installation.
- 8. Turn-key projects.